I was determined to finish his quilt yesterday, so I took him into the sewing room (aka laundry room) with me yesterday and we spent sometime hanging out in the room working on the quilt together as a little family (his sister Ellie helped throw away cut threads and entertain Ben when he got upset). I didn't do anything fancy with the quilting, just some stitch in the ditch quilting.
The pattern is totally random. The quilt started out as a strip quilt, but I didn't like the look of it, so I ended up cutting strips into squares and then just randomly sewing it all together. I added 3" border to each random 12" square to bring some cohesiveness to the quilt. It's random, but I like the way it turned out. I backed the quilt with some soft minky. It's a bit larger than a traditional crib size quilt, so Ben should be able to enjoy using it well into his toddler years.
Now that this quilt is done, his room is slowly starting to come together. I made a diaper change pad cover the other day, the fabric on the pad matches the lining of his crib bumper. I think we need to get a few bookshelves up on the wall and his room will be done.
This was the first quilt I completed on my new sewing machine, which I am totally in love with. I can't wait to start the next quilt! But for now I have a crying baby to attend to... :)